What Kinds of Offenses Can Result in a Desk Appearance Ticket? | Law Office of James Medows

26 Mar What Kinds of Offenses Can Result in a Desk Appearance Ticket?

Brooklyn police may issue you a desk appearance ticket for a number of reasons, but don’t make the mistake of thinking, “It’s not that serious.”

The good news about a desk appearance ticket is that it means law enforcement officials don’t think you’re a flight risk. They believe that you will show up in court on the right day, at the right time.

Why Do Brooklyn Police Issue DATs?

There are several offenses—mostly minor—that may qualify you to receive a desk appearance ticket. DATs can be issued for misdemeanors (Class A, Class B and Unclassified) and “E” felonies, but no matter why you receive it, remember that if you fail to show up in court, the court will issue a warrant for your arrest.

Brooklyn police may issue you a DAT for:

  • Criminal impersonation
  • Driving while intoxicated
  • Identity theft
  • Issuing a bad check
  • Prostitution
  • Reckless driving
  • Unlawful assembly
  • Unlicensed driving

Remember, issuance of a desk appearance ticket is at the police department’s discretion. Even if you’re eligible for a DAT, the police don’t have to give you one. It’s a sign of good faith when they do, so you can’t afford to mess it up.

What to Do if You Receive a DAT in Brooklyn

If you receive a desk appearance ticket, you’ve been arrested. It simply changes the traditional process of waiting in jail (or bailing yourself out of jail) until you are arraigned in court. You still need to show up for your arraignment, which is when your judge will present your charges and offer you a chance to enter a “guilty” or “not guilty” plea.

If you receive a DAT, you should call an attorney right away. Here’s why: you will be going to court and facing a prosecutor, who is a fully trained, highly educated lawyer. Your judge? Also a lawyer. Unless you’re a lawyer, too, it’s best to have an experienced professional in your corner who can fight for your rights with the best of them.

I can help you. Call or Text Me at 917-856-1247 today and we can discuss your DAT; I’ll give you case-specific legal advice that you can use to make the right decisions.