Coping With Emotional Toll of Your Own

30 Mar Coping with the Emotional Toll of Your Own DWI Charge in NY

When you’re charged with driving while intoxicated, it’s a big emotional drain. It puts a lot on your mind, whether you’re thinking about attempting to clear your name or you already know you’re going to plead guilty. Your Brooklyn DWI lawyer will talk to you about all of your options, but you’re still left to cope with the emotional toll on your own.

The Emotional Toll of DWI Charges

If you’re like most people who have been arrested for driving while intoxicated, you’re under a lot of stress. You might be worried that your boss will find out, that your family will shun you or that you might end up spending time behind bars.

That’s a lot for one person to be worried about. But what can you do?

Fighting Your DWI Charges

In many cases, it’s best to try to fight your DWI charges. Your lawyer will explain the possible consequences you’re facing and help you make the right decision for your situation.

If you are convicted of a DWI, you could end up sentenced to jail time. You could also lose your job, have a tough time getting insurance, or encounter hassles when you’re trying to get a passport. Some people view driving while intoxicated convictions as serious—even unforgivable—offenses.

Talking to a Counselor or Therapist

Your lawyer might recommend that you talk to a local counselor or therapist who can empathize with you. It could save you from the crushing burden of beating yourself up over the charge and enable you to partner with your lawyer to create a strategy that gets the best possible outcome for your case.

Your counselor can also help you cope with the circumstances that led up to your DWI and assist you in identifying whether there are any issues you need to address.

DWI charges are serious, and it’s best to work with someone who has your best interests at heart. That means retaining a caring, competent attorney who isn’t afraid to tell it like it is (and who isn’t afraid to tell you that you should talk to a counselor or therapist if you need to).